This plenary session aims to incorporate Arctic Indigenous People into the work of UArctic. The theme of the panel discussion is “Education and training in the Arctic: Identifying education and training needs for Arctic Indigenous Peoples”. How UArctic can help to facilitate these mechanisms is the overall goal of this session.
The panel will discuss the following questions:
1. How is Arctic education shaping the life of local communities now and in the future?
2. How will traditional knowledge be a part of the academic world?
3. How will vocational education meet higher education in the Arctic?
4. In what capacity can UArctic help to offer or promote Indigenous degree programs?
The panel and the discussion are facilitated by the Chair of the Council of UArctic, Liisa Holmberg and the President of UArctic, Lars Kullerud.
The panellists are representing six Arctic Indigenous Peoples associations, the Permanent Participants of UArctic Council:
- Aleut International Association TBC
- Arctic Athabaskan Council TBC
- Evon Peter, Gwich'in Council International
- Inuit Circumpolar Council TBC
- Russian Association of Indigenous Peoples of the North TBC
- Dr Ellen Inga Turi, Saami Council